More girls enjoying tech summer camps will equal more women in tech companies down the road! In a recent blog post in sister publication Computer Dealer News, I wrote about the lack of women in the tech sector and how companies can recruit more women. Having women-friendly recruiting and employee policies addresses one dimension of the challenge.
Another key challenge to achieving more women in technology companies is boosting the numbers of young women who choose science, technology or engineering education to have the potential to build careers in technology. Engaging girls in technology at a younger age, before they limit their options by dropping math or science, is a starting point toward young women choosing tech careers. So we’ve researched some summer camps and programs across Canada to come up with a list of options for girls.
Data shows that some girls can feel more free to explore science and technology with a girl-focused program with other girls. Some girls would prefer an “open to all kids” option. We’ve grouped the programs into “girls-only” and “open to all kids” options, and provided location info and links to find out more.
Summer Technology Camps – for Girls-Only:
- Girl Quest – St. Johns, NF
- Supernova Camp – I.T.S. for Girls – Halifax, NS
- Cyber Girlz Camp – Fredericton, NB
- Beyond the Selfie Project – Toronto, ON
- Girls Learning Code – Toronto, ON
- Designing with Computers – Edmonton, AB
- Get Set Camp – Edmonton, AB
- GEERing Up – Girls Only Week Vancouver & Kelowna, BC)
Summer Technology Camps – Open to All Kids:
- arTech Camp – Halifax, Lahave, NS
- Maker Kids Summer Camps – Toronto
- DEEP Summer Academy – Toronto
- Digital Media Academy – Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver
- Enrichment Studies – Kingston, ON
- STEM Camp – Sudbury, Brantford, St. Thomas, Tillonsburg, Woodstock, Hamilton, ON
- Real Programming 4 Kids – Ottawa, Leaside, Oshawa, Etobicoke, Oakville, Richmond Hill, London, Waterloo, ON
- Adventure Quest Camp – Mississauga, ON
- GEERing Up – Vancouver, Prince George, Kelowna, BC
Here’s to the summer of 2014 inspiring more girls to get involved in technology. If you know of other summer technology camps or programs, whether for girls-only or for all kids, please share them in the comments!