The Cyber Security Operations team at the Ontario Public Service (OPS) is a carefully assembled group of passionate and diverse individuals. The team proudly believes in our mission to protect the Ontario government, public services and clients from a diversity of cyber threats. We are looking for two cyber security specialists with an in-depth understanding of existing security tools and applied practices.
This is a technical and creative role, for a person who is enjoying being methodical in exploring new opportunities. Along with strong technology acumen and keen analytical skills, you’ll have the ability to think strategically and creatively, with the capacity to push conventional boundaries, aiming to deliver best in class cyber protection services.
The positions operate in a 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days per year environment.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As a Cyber Security Specialist, you will:
- Provide technical expertise in the monitoring of newly discovered threats and attacks
- Lead a range of highly specialized and complex security initiatives, including enhanced monitoring, threat intelligence, and threat hunting
- Conduct and/or lead the research, analysis, and evaluation of leading-edge cyber defense methods/technologies
- Provide technical expertise, consultation, and training in areas of incident response and advanced threat monitoring, to the team members and customers
- Provide technical expertise in the development, maintenance, and enhancement of corporate security operating procedures, standards and best practices
How do I qualify?
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- you have proven hands-on experience in the information security field, including risk management, security engineering, security monitoring, or incident response
- you have demonstrated interest in open-search research, as well as practical knowledge using open source tools for Incident Response and Threat Intelligence
- you have the ability to continuously analyze and correlate incidents artifacts to discover new attack techniques, tool used, and footprint
- you have proven hands-on experience in administering *nix and Windows systems or Security technologies like IPS, SIEM, Malware Protection and others
- you have practical experience in differentiating between deferent types of cyber attacks and threat agents and ability to formulate sound defense mitigations
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
- you can provide specialized expert advice to clients on security issues and make presentations to senior management
- you can document technical findings, develop incident response remediation recommendations, and present both oral and written reports to clients
ANALYTICAL AND PROBLEM-SOLVING SKILLS:
- you have demonstrable problem-solving and analytical skills to resolve highly technical issues with critical impact on the functioning of the OPS
- you can communicate technical details in a clear manner and manage multiple assignments
- you have project leadership and technical expertise in the development, implementation and communication of cyber security systems, processes and services
Salary Range: $1,397.43 – $1,805.22 per week
- 1 Permanent, 222 Jarvis St, Toronto, Toronto Region, General Screening Requirement
- 1 Temporary, duration up to 12 months, 222 Jarvis St, Toronto, Toronto Region, General Screening Requirement
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual’s screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, by Tuesday, September 5, 2017, by visiting www.ontario.ca/careers and entering Job ID 110638 in the Job ID search field. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.