V. Wireless/Communications Spending
One of the fastest-growing segments, with seven per cent growth
- Top areas are voice over IP (VoIP) and wireless data. Wireless security is No. 2.
- Research In Motion is still the king in enterprises for both wireless and data.
- Cisco dominates networking and is well placed to gain incremental market share.
- Security remains the main concern about wireless.
VoIP, Wi-Fi and Wireless Data
- The spending increase on VoIP, wireless data and Wi-Fi will average nine per cent.
- Enterprises are beginning to ramp up their spending on wireless networking, particularly at large campus networks.
- Retail, manufacturing and high technology remain the leading verticals, and we expect financial firms to follow suit.
Wireless Handhelds, Desktops
- Spending on handhelds outpaces wireless laptops.
- The average firm added 225 devices in 2006.
- Replacement cycles are shortening to 18 months from 24.
Wireless Security, Data Networking
- 60 per cent will increase spending in wireless security with more than 30 per cent increasing spending by five per cent or more.
- Switch upgrades and unified networking are also driving spending and we look for a continuation of this trend into the next few years.