According to the Chinese calendar, 2005 is the year of the Rooster. However, a technology calendar might suggest that it is the year of mobility. In that spirit, Intel proposes 10 mobile resolutions:
1. Be a wireless winner: In honour of Mobility month (January), use Yahoo! Maps to find an
Intel Centrino mobile technology-verified hotspot and you could win a Sony notebook based on the next-generation Intel Centrino mobile technology platform, code-named Sonoma. Other prizes include movie downloads from Movielink and music downloads from Musicmatch. Every entrant will receive afree month of games from Yahoo! Games on Demand. To enter, go to www.mobilitymonth.comor maps.yahoo.com and look for the Mobility Month link.
2. Mobilize your home entertainment: In January, Intel will launch the Sonomaplatform, enabling mobile entertainment PCs that support accelerated graphicsfor superb DVD playback and gaming, theater-quality sound for MP3s and TV tunerExpressCards that will be available soon.
3. Take your laptop on vacation: Record your favorite TV shows with an IntelPentium 4 processor-based Entertainment PC and take them with you on yournotebook. Your notebook also enables you to stay in touch, store and senddigital photos, replace weighty travel guides and maintain photographic travelogues on your family Web site. A great wireless destination is the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah, Jan. 20-30, where you can watch streaming video of the nominees from WiMAX-enabled cafes and lodges.
4. Escape the house often for some relaxing entertainment: Be seen at aWi-Fi-enabled park, cafe or beach unwinding with a broad-brimmed hat, darksunglasses and an Intel Centrino mobile technology-based notebook to staycurrent on Hollywood gossip, fashion and, in particular, the Golden Globes.
5. Battle bulk: Dieting may be the most common New Year’s resolution, but thetruly trendy also will resolve to shed notebook bulk with a slimmer model.Intel Centrino mobile technology enables thin, light notebooks with greatbattery life and integrated wireless LAN capability.
6. Stay in visual touch: Cameras for videoconferencing are now available fornotebooks, enabling videoconferencing with friends and family from more than56,000 Intel Centrino mobile technology-verified wireless hotspots worldwide.
7. Work smarter, not longer: Whether you are flying cross-country or waiting at soccer practice, laptop mobility enables you to fit work into slices of timethat otherwise would go unused, freeing time later for other important activities.
8. Get smarter, have fun: Notebooks are becoming mobile backpacks at alleducational levels. Students access information online from wireless hotspotson and off campus, including cafes, libraries and dorms. New laptops based onthe Intel Centrino mobile technology to be introduced this month will double asall-in-one entertainment devices, making more space for other dorm roomnecessities, such as the minifridge and lava lamp.
9. Make a wireless café your extended office: Advanced wireless communicationcombined with an increasing number of hotspots are heating up the coffeeculture around the world with people genuinely relaxing on a café couch witheverything they need to do their jobs on their laptops.
10. Reuse or recycle that old equipment: If you’ve upgraded to an all-in-one laptop that delivers improved graphics and audio features, consider giving your old DVD player or stereo to a charitable organization. Donate old computers to educational organizations or dispose of them through an environmental e-waste organization. Good sources are www.eiae.org and www.intel.com/education/recycling_computers/strut.htm.