Telus announces the availability of BlackBerry 8830
Telus announced the availability CDMA/GSM BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone. Telus also announced the expansion of its global roaming services to enable clients with the BlackBerry 8830 World Edition to use voice and data services internationally on GSM/GPRS networks.
Telus’ enhanced global roaming service provides users of the BlackBerry 8830 with voice calling and an “always-on, always connected” wireless e-mail solution for access to e-mail, contacts, calendar, organizer and the Web.
The BlackBerry 8830 smartphone also features:
- Access to EVDO
- GSM/GPRS (900/1800 MHz) for continued voice and e-mail
- Full QWERTY keyboard
- Bluetooth capabilities for certain profiles inclusive of hands-free, dial-up networking and serial port
- Expandable memory with optional microSD memory card
- Speaker Independent Voice Recognition (SIVR) for Voice Activated Dialing (VAD)
The BlackBerry 8830 smartphone is available at TELUS retail locations nationally for US$649.99 without a contract or US$299.99 on a three year contract, subject to promotional requirements. For more information on promotions, please visit www.telusmobility.com.
SGI unveils Altix ICE blade platform
SGI unveiled SGI Altix ICE. This board allows a single SGI Altix ICE 8200 blade to be powered by two Dual- or Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors, and up to 32GB of memory.
This platform features support for dual high-speed, low-latency Double Data Rate (DDR) InfiniBand backplanes. SGI has freed up the 20Gb/second DDR InfiniBand connection for compute traffic. This system also utilizes a hierarchical network topology that requires no external switching. SGI Altix ICE also provides for “off-blade” centralization of storage resources.
Included in the software stack one of two management software options:
- SGI Tempo
- Scali Manage
The software stack also includes:
- Industry-standard SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10
- The SGI ProPack 5 Software for Linux OS
- Altair PBS Professional 9.0 workload management software
- InfiniBand Fabric and Subnet Management environment
SGI Altix ICE 8200 is available from SGI and SGI value-added resellers now in configurations ranging from eight to 512 processors per rack. A full rack powered by 512 Intel Xeon Processor cores is U.S. List priced from approximately US$350,000. For more information on SGI Altix ICE, go to http://www.sgi.com/products/servers/altix/ice/