“”Wow”” is what Paul Tsaparis thought when he heard that Hewlett-Packard Co. would be swallowing Compaq Computer Corp. Since May of 2002 he’s been merging the two companies’ operations here, an effort which resellers and industry analysts praise.
Tsaparis gets the nod CDN’s top newsmaker for 2002
for his yeomen’s work in bringing the two Canadian organizations together. He also fought off direct only strategies and help to develop a Canadian-specific version of HP’s PartnerOne channel strategy.
There are 18 new members in the 2002 list. The biggest splash made by Tsaparis and Peter Wolfraim of MFP who placed one and two respectively. Of last year’s members Nick Tidd of 3Com Canada made the biggest jump from 23 to No. 6. The biggest drop off from last year was Derek Burney, CEO of Coral Corp. Burney was last year’s winner. This year he placed No. 11. Here are the rest of the top 25 CDN newsmakers for 2002.
- Paul Tsaparis, president and CEO of HP Canada
- Peter Wolfraim, president of MFP.
- David McDonald, president of SoftChoice Corp.
- Harry Zarek, CEO of Compugen
- Anita Grassl, manager of channel sales for Microsoft Canada
- Nick Tidd, president of 3Com Canada
- Don Chapman, vice-president and GM of Novell Canada
- Evan Leibovitch, chairman of Linux Professional Institute
- Tim Bray, CTO of Antarti.ca and XML co-creator
- Gaylen Duncan, president of ITAC
- Derek Burney, president of Corel Corp.
- Rick Reid, president of Tech Data Canada
- Kevin Krempulec, director of channels for Symantec Canada
- Michel Brisson, president of SAP Canada
- Gary Isaacs, GM of corporate channels for IBM Canada
- Doug Cooper, country manager for Intel Canada
- Bryant Jackson, president and CEO of Metafore Corp.
- Jim Estill, president of EMJ Data Systems
- Robert Stroud, partner manager, EMC Canada
- Murray Wright, vice president and GM of Ingram Micro Canada
- Lynn Smurthwaite Murphy, general manager for Westcon Canada
- Ralph Hyatt, vice president and GM of Toshiba Canada
- Terry Sedgley, regional manager for Alternative Technology
- Michael Mercer, vice president for Bell Microproducts Canada
- Rumour Mill, the Synnex acquiring Supercom rumour that never materialized.
CDN This Week will feature the top ten newsmakers throughout the month of January starting with Tsaparis.