The nominees have been announced and the Digi Awards are poised to once again honour innovation and achievement in Canadian digital media at next month’s NextMedia conference in Toronto.
Over 60 companies submitted entries for judging in this year’s awards, which range from categories such as the best mobile and tablet applications to the best in digital advertising.
“The Digi Awards celebrate the digital innovation in Canada’s advertising, media and technology sectors” says Mark Greenspan, community director of NextMedia, in a statement. “These sectors are undergoing a fundamental evolution and The Digis offer a unique opportunity to see what kind of innovation that the digital media world is producing, while also providing us with a better understanding of Canada as a global digital leader.”
Here’s a look at a few of the nominees of note.
Best in Mobile Applications
* Blue Ant Media teamed with mobile software developer Indusblue and music news publisher Exclaim to create Concert Sherpa, an app where music fans can search concert listings and the latest news on new artists, shows and news.
* To help encourage young cancer patients to complete their pain reports, Toronto’s Sick Kids Hospital turned to Cundari to develop an iPhone App called Pain Squad. Using elements of gamification and video clips from Canadian police dramas, it encourages patients to complete their pain reports daily and move up the pain squad ranks.
* From Smokebomb Entertainment, Totally Amp’d is an interactive television series delivered through an app that allows viewers to unlock content and interact with the series about a teen band by customizing content, such as designing posters and music videos.
Best in Tablet Applications
* Working with music video and news channel Aux TV, Blue Ant Media developed Aux Magazine for iPad, a tablet app that delivers music and videos in addition to the magazine’s text content.
* Broadcaster AXS TV worked with Mobovivo to develop Axs TC Fights, an iPad app for use by viewers while watching mixed martial arts (MMA) fights on AXS TV. Users can vote on fights in real time, access statistics and fighter information, chat with fellow fans and win prizes.
* On the Table from TC Media is a geo-targeting iPad app designed to help people plan their daily menus. In addition to free recipes and a shopping list tool, it also uses ge-targeting to find users local deals, restaurants and grocery stores.
Also watch out for Yellow Pages Group, which was nominated for the Best in Digital Advertising award for its scratch and win contest.
The Digi Awards winners will be announced Dec. 4th at The Carlu in Toronto.