I really look forward to Father’s Day every year. My son Mitchell is 19 and he has given me some of my most treasured gadgets over the years. You see, Father’s Day to a Gadget Guy is that one day out of the year that they can go out and buy themselves a great gadget and
blame it on the occasion.
For example, what kind of gadget could my son really afford to get me? BUT – If I buy it FOR him to give to me…..then it’s a whole new ballgame! It’s like buying your sister a new CD because you like the artist and will copy them to your iPod as soon as she looks the other way. And it’s relatively guilt free, depending on the circumstances – who can argue that Dad, on this one glorious day, doesn’t deserve something really cool? And of course the bigger the family, the better the gadget.
1) Hewlett Packard Envy Spectre UltraBook – HP has come out with a new line of laptops that are simply quite stunning and would really make dad look cool. I used the HP ENVY Spectre for about a week and was really impressed with its speed and looks. This is HP’s first multi-surface glass Ultrabook featuring amazingly light, scratch-resistant glass and has a 9 hour battery life.
2) WD TV Live – This is a streaming Media Player that your dad can hook up to the TV and the home computer and it will let him play virtually anything his computer can dish out. It has a very easy setup and doesn’t need a PC to work as it comes crammed with all the social media and movie sites already inside. I got mine at Costco.
3) Samsung Galaxy S III – This is the phone of the year! If dad wants the best and fastest Android-based smartphone on the market today, this is it! The Samsung Galaxy S III is the most anticipated phone of the year and features a beautiful 4.8 inch Super AMOLED screen. Some of the features like Pop up Play which lets you watch HD videos on your phone at the same time you are texting to a friend are just plain crazy.
4) Panasonic PT-AE7000 – WOW this is a full HD 3D home cinema projector meant for your dads man cave. If you can swing it, this projector will make your dad stand out from the crowd. Panasonic has always had amazing projectors, but this 1080P 3-Chip LCD projector that includes 3D is the one to beat. NOTE – It’s a bit pricey so maybe say it’s for your birthday too.
5) The Motorized Monocycle – Our friends at Hammacher Schlemmer have brought us another doozie! Who wants an e-Bike when you can WheelSurf? It has a small electric motor that can zoom your Dad around the city with ease and style. He can turn by simply leaning one way or the other. Might be a bit tough to park downtown.
There are lots of cool things that you can find for your dad on this magical day, that coupled with an “I love you Dad!” card spells sweet success for Gadget Dads of all ages.
Rob Whent (firstname.lastname@example.org) is the Entrepreneur in Residence at WEtech Alliance, Windsor-Essex’s Regional Innovation Centre and is a pioneer in the digital media space. He has over 20 years’ experience, founding McGill Digital Solutions in 1987 and OTEP Inc. in 2009 (www.otep.com). OTEP uses videogames to identify and improve cognition in school age children under the Think-2-Learn brand (www.Think-2-Learn.com). Follow him on Twitter @swento