If you own a Samsung Galaxy Note7 – even a new replacement model issued after the first recall – you should turn off your device and never use it again, according to Samsung Electronics Canada.

Samsung says it’s working with regulatory bodies around the world to investigate new reports of its Galaxy Note7 replacement devices catching fire or smoking. The replacements were sent, free of charge, to consumers that first bought the device in its early days of launching to the market. Despite saying it had replaced a defective battery that was blamed for the explosions, Samsung now says its new devices shouldn’t be trusted.

“Canadian consumers with either an original Galaxy Note7 or replacement Galaxy Note7 device should power down and stop using the device,” a press release issued Tuesday morning states. “Because consumers’ safety remains our top priority, Samsung will ask all carrier and retail partners globally to stop sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note7 while the investigation is taking place.”

Samsung says it is stopping production of the Galaxy Note7 permanently. At first, the device looked like it would be a best-seller, with more than 2.5 million devices being sold after launch in September. Samsung’s other premium smartphone launched earlier this year, the Galaxy S7 remains on the market.

Samsung says that Canadian consumers will be fully refunded for their purchase of the Note7 at the same place they bought it, but should wait until they make an announcement shortly. It invites Canadian consumers with questions to call 1-800-SAMSUNG.

According to a report in the Associated Press, the defect that resulted in at least eight different Galaxy Note7 explosions over the weekend is likely a different defect than the faulty battery that originally caused explosions.

Share on LinkedIn Share with Google+
More Articles