The technology startup accelerator based at Toronto’s MaRS Discovery District announced its next cohort of six firms today.
Jolt, launched at the public-private business hub in July 2012, will be hosting the firms until June. Each of the six startups will receive $30,000 of seed capital and work in the MaRS space for 16 weeks, undergoing workshops and collaboration with mentors before pitching to the public and investors at a demo day event.
Jolt’s first cohort of startups from summer 2012 had a social media focus. But this group seems more varied and mobile-focused in their ventures, offering solutions for education, personal fitness, and e-commerce.
Here’s the brief description of each of the six startups provided by Jolt, with links to their Web sites:
· • FlyerFlo: A mobile platform and application that allows consumers to discover new brands and receive personalized promotions from all of their favourite local retailers.
· • HypeJar: An open, social platform powered by people who are passionate about the most hyped consumer product releases of tomorrow.
· • PUSH Technologies: PUSH is an app-enabled fitness device for analyzing, managing and tracking the progress of your weight training workout.
· • Singspiel: A learning platform and tablet application that turns traditionally tedious music practice into a more fun and engaging activity for music students.
· • Flee: A travel recommendation application that combines a beautiful user experience and streamlined booking process with highly curated original content.
· • Stylekick: Without any 3D scanners, personal body measurements, complicated machines or gimmicks, Stylekick can help online shoppers find the perfect fit they want.
The startups will also be heading to the Launch conference in San Francisco, sent by Jolt.