Canada’s best online retailers will be eligible to receive $1 million worth of prizes.
Canada Post has launched an e-commerce contest it says will stimulate growth in Canada’s Internet economy.
The national postal service announced its E-commerce Innovation Awards today, which are intended to help close the gap between Canada and other G8 countries. Canada Post is targeting smaller retailers in particular, though companies of any size can compete. Awards will be presented to the winners in five different categories:
- Best Multi-channel Retailer of the Year (To be eligible, companies must have a physical store and conduct direct sales online)
- Best Online Retailer of the Year (online-only vendors)
- Best New E-business (for startups that began in 2011 or the first half of 2012)
- Outside the Box Achievement Award (for extraordinary and successful innovation)
- Consumer Champion Award (to be chosen via an online poll open to Canadians)
In total, the prize packages will be worth $1 million, Canada Post says. Entrants will have the chance to win a free shipping contract and free advertising on Canada Post property (online and offline). Any e-commerce retailer that ships to Canadian consumers is eligible to participate. Deadline for entries is Monday, August 20.
The company cites projections that show $8 billion in consumer goods ordered online growing to $15 billion by 2016.